Monday, May 23, 2011

Letting Go and Letting God

If you have read this poem before ---It is still worth repeating. I have been known to do it myself. Just get myself so involved in a matter and think I can solve the issue. And the more I try the worse the situation would become.

I see my friends around me going to "fix" their families or friends. They work themselves into a freezy to make it "right". And all we need to do is give it to God......

LET GO AND LET GOD!



As children bring their broken toys
with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God,
because He was my friend.
But then, instead of leaving Him,
in peace, to work alone;
I hung around and tried to help,
with ways that were my own.
At last, I snatched them back and cried,
"How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said,
"What could I do?
You never did let go."


- Author: Lauretta P. Burns - 1957



another good analogy regarding letting go and Letting God is the poem about the ship at sea.......

Again I would imagine myself at the helm of a boat going along and then a terrible storm would come up. I would get so afraid until I finally let go of the wheel and Let God.

My Father's at the Helm

The curling waves, with awful roar, a little bark assailed,
And pallid Fear's distracting power o'er all on board prevailed--
Save one, the captain's darling child, who fearless viewed the storm,
And, cheerful, with composure smiled at danger's threatening form.

"And can you smile," a seaman cried, "while terrors overwhelm?"
"Why should I fear?" the boy replied; "my father's at the helm!"
So, when our worldly hopes are crushed, our earthly comforts gone,
We still have one sure anchor left -- God helps, and He alone.

He to our prayers will lend his ear, he gives our pangs relief;
He turns to smiles each trembling fear, to joy each torturing grief.
Then turn to him, mid terrors wild, when wants and woes o'erwhelm,
Remembering, like the fearless child, our Father's at the helm!

~Author Unknown~



and the message continues to even today with the now popular song sang by Carrie Underwood.....


.......
It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder
And the car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the backseat sleeping like a rock
And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been living my life
I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on


and surprising enough each and every time we let go of the wheel. The path smoothes out and

It astounds my finite mind to realize that this sovereign God of the universe is also my loving Father who watches and cares for me moment by moment. He is interested in every detail of my life, and not a word or action slips by Him unnoticed. Even my unspoken thoughts and motives lie bare to my holy Father. Yet He continues to love and lead me, cleanse and forgive me!

Nothing I do surprises God. He who made me knows me inside and out, recognizes all my weaknesses, and sees all my needs. He loves, nurtures, guards and trains me as His precious child. Most earthly fathers do their best to make their children mature and happy, yet my heavenly Father does infinitely more. "See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us - that we should be called children of God, and such we are!"

Thank you God for loving me, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment